Saturday 11 October 2014

Malicious Damage Colloquium at Southampton























I'm running a collage workshop at an all-day event, held at Southampton Solent University on Thursday October 30th, on the power and influence of collage. My workshop will invite participants to tell me something I don't already know.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!
The Encyclopaedia of Things I Didn’t Know
 ‘Did you know that emus can’t walk backwards or that Alfred Hitchcock didn’t have a belly button? I did. Did you know that Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise; that rabbits can’t vomit; or that Barry Manilow is an anagram of Library Woman? I knew all of those things too. Why don’t you tell me something I don’t already know?’

In his quest to compile a comprehensive encyclopaedia of things he didn’t know, collage artist Graham Rawle invites you to provide him with a fascinating fact to add to his archive. It can come from the world of science, history or nature—or it could be something personal: your father’s hat size, the opening hours of your local Costcutter, or what your Auntie Maureen likes to spread on her toast. From the astounding to the trivial, all of the collected facts will be gathered together in a giant online encyclopaedia, providing a fountain of knowledge to delight and enthral all of humanity.

HOW TO TAKE PART
At the I Did Not Know That! collage workshop, each participant will have access to scissors, glue and an exciting range of magazines containing every word or image he or she might need to create a special collage. Each completed piece of artwork will be photographed for inclusion in an online archive and displayed during the workshop in an ever-expanding wall frieze of little-known facts. Your contribution can play a vital part in building this extraordinary archive: The Encyclopaedia of Things I Didn’t Know. 

More details and list of speakers can be found here. BOOK NOW!